Designer: Josef Hospodka
Date of desgn: 1965
Produced: Late 1960s
Hospodka is best known at Chribská for his brightly coloured organic forms designed from the mid-1950s-60s, and inspired by glass produced on Murano. However, he was much more inventive, and utilised fully the hot-working talents of the glassmakers at Chribská. This unusual cased range is typical of that inventiveness.
The hallmark pattern was obtained by blowing the core into an optical mould to leave a controlled pattern of diamond-shaped air bubbles. Mica powder was applied, and remained only in these air bubbles when it was cased and blown into its final shape in a mould. Mica is a form of silicate mineral, and the name is derived from the Latin word mica, meaning ‘a crumb’, and also hints at the verb micare, meaning ‘to glitter’. The sandy texture of the mica powder also contrasts with the shiny, glassy surfaces.
The core was cased with contrastingly coloured or colourless glass, with colours including blue and amber, amber and green, and pink. The bold and dramatic combination is harder to find than amber and green. The range can also be found with vertical stripes of mica, and was first profiled in the June issue of the State’s trade publication Czechoslovak Glass Review in 1966. Shapes comprised cylinder vases, tapering vases with disc-shaped protruding centre sections, similar ashtrays, and curving bowls. This example is in excellent, original condition, and was the largest cylinder produced.
10.5in (26.5cm) high
About The Designer
Josef Hospodka (1923-89) studied at the State School for Graphic Arts in Prague from 1938-40, followed by the School for Decorative Arts in Prague from 1940-45 under Professor Holecek. He was then head of the glass cutting department at the Specialised School for Glassmaking at Novy Bor from 1945-51, headmaster at the Chribskà glassworks training school from 1951-58, and head designer at the Borské Sklo glassworks from 1858-60, and from 1964-70. He is best-known for his many highly successful and prolifically produced colourful and curving hot-worked designs produced for Chribskà, of which he was a director from 1960-64.