Britain’s next National Antiques Week will highlight and celebrate younger members of the trade who will shape the future of antiques, collectables, vintage and retro. Far from being a stuffy, staid and stodgy industry that’s dying off, the industry is as vibrant as ever and is changing with the times.
A vibrant band of young people under 39 are working across all areas – owning shops, taking over established and sometimes reviving weary family firms, working as auctioneers, organising antiques fairs and working hard behind the scenes to promote the trade. Since launching the campaign in late November 2012, we have discovered that there are legions of them!
To promote this inspiring and passionate group the organisers of National Antiques Week are delighted to announce the Young Guns of the Antiques Trade Awards. ‘Young Guns’ are 39 years old or under and must be involved in the trade and earn a living wage from it. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a dealer at a fair, auction house specialist, shop owner, fair organiser or exhibitor – you could even be running your own vintage blog empire.
An panel of expert judges will be looking for the most endearing, passionate story of how and why the entrant started their business, or went into the industry professionally. They will be expected to demonstrate a real and heartfelt commitment to the industry and show how to generate confidence to encourage other young people to join the trade and visit antiques shops, fairs and auctions.
The winner will be announced at an exclusive cocktail reception and gala at The Decorative Antiques and Textiles Fair, in London at 6pm on Thursday 25 April 2013. As well as a much-coveted award, the winner and two runners-up will be presented with a range of prizes:
Winner’s Prize Package
- A Mentor Package in conjunction with leading dealers’ association LAPADA, comprising advice and help from an experienced member of the trade in the winner’s sector of the industry.
- Stock displayed in a foyer exhibition at the Decorative Antiques and Textiles Spring Fair 2013 – worth thousands of pounds, this exhibition will be promoted nationally as part of the campaign.
- 12 months advertising package on Antiques News & Fairs and Antiques are Green
- Dinner at London’s exclusive Groucho Club with the ‘Young Guns’ Committee.
- Overnight stay and dinner for two at a luxury hotel.
Two Runners-Up, and the winner, will each receive:
- A morning webinar followed by lunch from sponsors Online Galleries
- A Mentor Package in conjunction with leading dealers’ association LAPADA
- Collection of antiques and collectables books published by Miller’s
- Part of a display in the foyer exhibition at Decorative Antiques and Textiles Spring Fair 2013
- An expert shopping tour of The Decorative Fair with Mark Hill & Judith Miller
What about the venerable, senior members of the trade?
You’re not being ignored! We have big plans for you for National Antiques Week 2014 when we will be organising mentoring workshops for our 2013 Young Gun entrants. So many of you have said that there are too few young people getting involved in antiques and collectables – here’s your chance to help and encourage those that are. And encourage more people to do the same.
If you are a Young Gun or you know of a suitable candidate, please click on the image and button below for more information and an application form.
Check out the National Antiques Week & Young Guns Tumblr by clicking here.
National Antiques Week & The ‘Young Guns’ Committee are grateful for sponsorship from and the support of the following organisations: